What it entails
- Homelessness can be defined as being without a permanent home/dwelling.
Reasons people experience homelessness are:
Lack of affordable housing
Why it matters
- Isaiah 58:7, Proverbs 19:17, 1 John 3:17-18, Matthew 25:35
- Having a home provides stability, protection and dignity
- Children who don’t have a stable environment are less likely to be successful. They can’t focus and are often withdrawn.
What we can do
- Advocate for more affordable housing in your community.
- If you have an available room, apartment or house for rent, be willing to partner with nonprofits to rent to families or individuals at an affordable rate.
- Become a champion for those experiencing homelessness by learning all you can and engaging your churches, jobs and other social networks to bring awareness.
- Host fundraisers to benefit a nonprofit reaching those experiencing homelessness.
- Start a drive for different practical items that shelters need to serve the needy.
- Participate in a homelessness experience where you actually spend the day/night with the homeless (eg. National Community Church in DC and YWAM San Diego)
- Volunteer in a soup kitchen and sit down with someone experiencing homelessness to learn their story.
- Educate the next generation and model the Gospel
- Lobby for better public policy (see Prager U video below)
Good resource is The Dream Center Network – www.thedcnetwork.org